Most of us are too busy worrying about what parties we’re attending, gifts for our family and friends, the perfect decorations and food around the holidays, and we tend to neglect ourselves. I’ve rounded up some of my favourite party-season hair and beauty ideas to help you feel and look your best! One less thing to worry about, yay! Xo
- Smokey eyes: A dramatic, bronze/black smokey eye is sure to catch everyone’s attention! I like winging out the eyeshadow at the outer corners of my eyes and lining my waterline with a black kohl pencil for a more edgy look.
2. Rolled-up updo: If you’re wearing a strapless dress, consider rolling up your hair for an elegant evening look. I really like the retro and futuristic feel of this style!
3. Highlighter: One of my favourite beauty tips is to highlight the inner corners of my eyes. It really brightens up tired eyes! The key is to use a metallic shade that’s close to your complexion. Since my complexion is fair/olive, I use a champagne/gold colour (or just mix the two together).
4. Lashes, lashes, lashes!: They can be a pain to put on, but I can’t resist the look of these spidery, full lashes. For special occasions, I first curl my lashes, apply two coats of mascara from roots to tips and then glue some falsies at the outer corners of my eyes. I use both individuals and half lashes.
5. Blackberry stained lips: Not a look for the faint of heart, but it is divine! Apply an intense mulled-wine colour on your lips to make a bold statement and stand out from the crowd. I prefer matte lipsticks because as they fade, it softens to a beautiful stain.
If there’s one thing us ladies have in common, it seems to be this: We’re always on the hunt for the perfect lip balm. One that is rich in emollients (they boast Vitamin E, shea butter and jojoba oil) and that keeps our lips smooth and protected, especially during the winter months. My current favourite lip balms are EOS (Evolution of Smooth). Not only to they moisturize my lips, but they’re virtually impossible to lose because of their round, egg-like shape. They’re also addictive and I just might have one in every colour…oops!
They come in yummy flavours, too! For the holiday season, EOS released a limited edition 3-pack containing Sweet Mint (blue one), Pomegranate Raspberry (red one) and Vanilla Bean (white one). The Sweet Mint and Strawberry Sorbet are my favourites! For days when I need the extra protection, I like putting Vaseline on top of the EOS balms. I find it helps lock in moisture and ensures I don’t have to reapply the lip balm as often. Also great as a base for lipstick.
The new 3-pack makes a great gift for Secret Santa, as a stocking stuffer or a little add-on to an existing gift- and they’re affordable!!! Beauty on a budget? Count me in!
Here a few of the other colours/flavours they offer:
Sweet Mint, Lemon Drop, Summer Fruit, Pomegranate Raspberry, Strawberry Sorbet, HoneySuckle HoneyDew, Passion Fruit & Blueberry Potion
I use these balms whenever I can- in the morning, after I shower, before applying my makeup, before bed etc. I especially like applying them before bed because I wake up with super smooth lips!
- 100% natural flavour
- Smoothes on clear
- Petrolatum & paraben free
- Gluten free
- Phthalate free
- Not tested on animals
Time for my annual gift guide- all at varying price points. I think all of the items would make great gifts, but for those who have a stricter budget or who simply want to give more personalized presents, I’ve rounded up some of my all-time favourite goodies! Hopefully you’ll find some inspiration for friends, family and yourself!
Clockwise from top left:
- Stephen&Co Curved bar necklace. $10
- Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual. $14
- Philosophy Shower Gel/Bubble Bath in “French vanilla bean”. $10
- Kate Spade gold leather wallet. $178
- Essie nail polish in “Golds”. $8.50
- Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. $9
- Tart gift set. $15
- Clarisonic Mia1. $139
- iPad Mini. $419
- Smashbox Masterclass palette 2. $59
- Sigma Essential Kit. $120
- The Body Shop Hands & Nails set in “rose” scent. $12
My top picks:
Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual. One of the best makeup books/manuals for any makeup lover, in my opinion. Most women agree it’s important to gain some knowledge regarding how to properly use different products and tools, and especially the importance of proper skincare. I believe this book does a great job of covering these topics and offers plenty of pro tips for beginners and anyone wanting to explore the makeup realm.
Clarisonic Mia1. A great tool in aiding in a proper skincare regime! This is definitely an investment piece. Appropriate for men and women ages 17-45.
Kate Spade Wallet. I think everyone should invest in a well-made and durable wallet. A good quality wallet can last several years and is what most people consider a daily essential. In my opinion, worth investing in.
iPad Mini. The highest priced of all the gifts idea I’ve gathered, but I truly believe in the practicality of them. Perfect for students, businessmen and women or your tech savvy friend/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband or wife! Great for listening to music, sending e-mails, taking notes, browsing and of course endless entertainment via the Apps!
Happy shopping, everyone! :)
With the pressure of studying for my finals, the craziness of the upcoming holidays and the year-end busyness, I’ve been exploring ways to de-stress and focus on confidence building.
During my research, I discovered a Yoga & Pilates studio whose mission is “to provide a healing and safe space, which supports the evolution of mind, body and spirit through the practice of yoga & pilates.” Yoga and Pilates is designed for anyone searching for a peaceful retreat within the body and aims to assist you in tapping into your quiet, inner space through movement and mediation- aka super relaxing!
I decided to try a few different classes at the studio. Thankfully, the sessions gave me the retreat I needed and helped me to channel that quiet space and inner harmony. Upon my return home, I was inspired to do more research on yoga positions that aim to release anxiety and boost confidence. Needless to say, my search for stress relief and confidence building yoga/pilates practices has been as very successful.
Yoga position: “Downward facing dog”
Staying hydrated before, during and after any exercise is imperative for the body to maintain its temperature, remove waste and lubricate joints. Water is especially essential for optimal health. Under the “healthy living/lifestyle” umbrella, comes proper nutrition. Eating clean, drinking enough water and getting the adequate amount of sleep at night (7-8 hours) are key in overall wellness and health. Here are a few of my go-to healthy smoothie recipes, which are fun and easy to make:
Note: When I don’t feel like using water, I add either almond milk, cold green tea or coconut water to my shakes- yum!
Blueberry chocolate smoothie
Detoxifying green smoothie
I’ve been anxious to try the pastel nail trend- so tired of the winter darks!!! I usually wear more simple, nudes or pinks, but I love how this colour just popped. The perfect alternative to summer’s electric brights- and it’s surprisingly wearable! Xo
Images via Askmystyle
Here are more obsessions that inspire me (and will hopefully cure your Monday Blues)- all from tumblr. Xo